Oh, Michaels. A guilty pleasure for crafters, that often seduces the newly engaged with those aisles of wedding decor. It’s totally understandable. There’s a variety of styles of decor and one is usually very on trend. If you’re a DIY type of bride or BFOTB* it’s a great place to get started. One of the best items I purchased for our wedding was from Michaels but you’re not going to find it in the wedding aisles.
Here’s a DIY Bride or Groom’s Best Friend
Yep. It’s a storage box.
Specifically, the ones you can find around the scrapbooking section.
I had everyone in our bridal party say our setup was incredibly smooth and the reason why was because of these babies. I had a few of these organized by:
- Tables – anything that had to go on or help with table set up (table numbers, place cards, extra ribbon, mr & mrs signs etc)
- Supplies – this bin had everything from sharpies, to markers, to chalk, and measuring tapes
- Signs – any paper signage or inspiration images for signs that had to be written out
- Invites – used primarily for early stages of the wedding
Box #1 was made everyone’s lives so easy. There was no “What can I do?” “Where does this go?” over and over while we were setting up.
Inside the box was:
- 4 copies of the seating chart plus 1 taped to the inside lid
- Table numbers
- Place cards sorted into Ziplock bags by table number
- Drink tickets already cut and sorted by colour
- Commonly needed items including a sharpie, double sided tape, and scissors
The amount of stress this saved everyone in the wedding party, plus me, was incredible. My bridesmaids grabbed this box and went to town while I worked on other tasks and knew exactly who and what went where. We had some partners help out too and they were pretty impressed with how smooth sailing setup was. Even the owner of the venue said we completed one of the quickest and more organized setups she’d ever seen (and she works with the pros all the time).
The bubbles and decor I also got from Michael’s were cool and everything, but didn’t get as many “wows” as these little guys.
They also stack and store perfectly so you can reuse them later.
Thanks for reading! What’s your “must buy” wedding item from Michaels?